PDA

View Full Version : Slew VS Davis traction controll

gotspray
12-22-2007, 11:11 AM
http://moretraction.com/ Davis technology's wants $2,495 for a black box (the way i see it) "traction control" I have a 7531 if i make a pass on a bad track minimal spin then set my slew parameters 400 rpm above and below its the same thing isn't it? :blink: then on a good track make another saved run and make a file for a good track condition with the slew. this is on motor passes only.:thumbup1:

Eric David Bru
12-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Davis = Active Traction Control, the box decides if you are spinning.

MSD PN 7531 = Passive RPM/Time limiter, the box will only allow the engine to RPM/Time as fast as the crew chief allows.

EDB

gotspray
12-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Davis = Active Traction Control, the box decides if you are spinning.

MSD PN 7531 = Passive RPM/Time limiter, the box will only allow the engine to RPM/Time as fast as the crew chief allows.

EDB

oh i see, too bad its 2500, are there other ones like davis for cheaper?

Eric David Bru
12-22-2007, 07:02 PM
oh i see, too bad its 2500, are there other ones like davis for cheaper?

I don't know, not my deal.

EDB

gotspray
12-23-2007, 09:21 PM
i know that traction control is tight lipped around the bracket guys and whatever other classes..... but i got a street car that needs help with tire spin on the street if you want to P.M me instead of "reveling secrets to all" thats ok:thumbup: :drool:

Eric David Bru
12-24-2007, 08:20 AM
I really do not know anything about those boxes, but I think that they are legal in some of the Outlaw Street classes.

You might want to check the message board at: www.outlawracing.com .

EDB

gotspray
12-24-2007, 08:43 AM
I really do not know anything about those boxes, but I think that they are legal in some of the Outlaw Street classes.

You might want to check the message board at: www.outlawracing.com .

EDB

no no im not directing the above post at you it was a general question to all. i'm not in outlaw i'm a street car dont need to know rules :)

Eric David Bru
12-24-2007, 11:50 PM
no no im not directing the above post at you it was a general question to all. i'm not in outlaw i'm a street car dont need to know rules :)

I know... :)

Those guys can probably answer your questions about the Davis unit though.

EDB

gotspray
12-25-2007, 08:24 PM
I know... :)

Those guys can probably answer your questions about the Davis unit though.

EDB

i see, i will look into it, i know there is a different way around the davis unit. i want to see what others do with there 7531 and maybe a drive shaft sensor or other means..

msdtech21
12-26-2007, 11:24 AM
i see, i will look into it, i know there is a different way around the davis unit. i want to see what others do with there 7531 and maybe a drive shaft sensor or other means..

What you are proposing to do is considered cheating by most sanctioning bodies. I understand that you are not building a race car but, we work closely with different sanctioning bodies and will be unable to assist you with this matter.

Thanks,
MSDTECH21

gotspray
12-26-2007, 11:52 AM
What you are proposing to do is considered cheating by most sanctioning bodies. I understand that you are not building a race car but, we work closely with different sanctioning bodies and will be unable to assist you with this matter.

Thanks,
MSDTECH21

nooooooooooooooooooo ok just wanted to see what was out there to me "sanctioning body's" mean nothing but i respect your form and your decision.

msdtech21
12-26-2007, 12:10 PM
No problem.

Thanks,
MSDTECH21

z289sec
12-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Why do you think what he is proposing cheating? Almost the entire segment of Texas 10.5 racers use a 7531 for exactly that purpose. Not neccesarily using the slew rate function, but pulling timing out of a motor and ramping it back in on a run curve to keep it from blowing the hides off, and so they don't have to run progressive nitrous controllers because they are hard on solenoids. As far as the legality of it, it's perfectly legal.

I know traction control devices are illegal in some sanctioning bodies, but helping to launch the car with a run curve certainly isn't. Which, I believe is what this guy is asking you about. An alternative to using a Davis box.

gotspray
12-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Why do you think what he is proposing cheating? Almost the entire segment of Texas 10.5 racers use a 7531 for exactly that purpose. Not neccesarily using the slew rate function, but pulling timing out of a motor and ramping it back in on a run curve to keep it from blowing the hides off, and so they don't have to run progressive nitrous controllers because they are hard on solenoids. As far as the legality of it, it's perfectly legal.

I know traction control devices are illegal in some sanctioning bodies, but helping to launch the car with a run curve certainly isn't. Which, I believe is what this guy is asking you about. An alternative to using a Davis box.

Thank you someone understands what i'm asking.:thumbup:

z289sec
12-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I personally don't like the slew rate function. If I am overpowering the track I will go back and knock out four to six degrees of timing on the launch curve, and ramp it back in over about .75 to 1.25 seconds. That will usually stop the car from blowing the tires off on launch and keep them in the air as the timing comes back in.

Keep in mind this is a retard on top of what you are pulling out during nitrous activation, so you need to pay close attention to your rotor phasing as well. I sometimes pull out as much as twenty degrees total and ramp four to eight back in, depends on the track. It's a fairly simple procedure in the programming, just takes a little getting used to but, before too long you can tell after the first pass what it will take to get your car down the track.

gotspray
12-30-2007, 05:46 PM
I personally don't like the slew rate function. If I am overpowering the track I will go back and knock out four to six degrees of timing on the launch curve, and ramp it back in over about .75 to 1.25 seconds. That will usually stop the car from blowing the tires off on launch and keep them in the air as the timing comes back in.

Keep in mind this is a retard on top of what you are pulling out during nitrous activation, so you need to pay close attention to your rotor phasing as well. I sometimes pull out as much as twenty degrees total and ramp four to eight back in, depends on the track. It's a fairly simple procedure in the programming, just takes a little getting used to but, before too long you can tell after the first pass what it will take to get your car down the track.

yes thats what i do at the track pull out 8 for spray and then pull out another 12 and ramp it over 1.4 seconds. but on The street prep is minimal and if you don't hook you loose.

z289sec
12-30-2007, 06:39 PM
I guess that is the difference here, the big money street races here are sometimes better prepped than the track!

gotspray
12-30-2007, 10:30 PM
I guess that is the difference here, the big money street races here are sometimes better prepped than the track!

:thumbup: it's not even funny how well we can get the street to work by the end of the night a fuel car could make a pass:drool:

z289sec
12-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Hell, they even light the street on fire, spray it down, and heat it back up. Somewhere there is a video of a Camaro, carrying the front wheels about three feet in the air on the street, racing a blown nitrous Nova. I need to see if I can find it.

As far as the slew rate function goes, It seems to work too much when I try it. It slows the car way down. Like it takes too much out.

msd_admin
01-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Davis Technologies clearly makes it know that their products are for traction control. Keep in mind that Davis Technologies lost a federal injunction due to their illegal modifications of MSD ignition controllers. The information requested in this thread has moved well beyond the scope of the original design for the 7531. This information while it may seem harmless can pose a potential liability and will not be discussed any further. Our company prides itself in the fact that our products will not circumvent the rules and regulations set forth by professional sanctioning bodies and entities. Furthermore, we do not in any form or sense condone street racing or breaking traffic laws. Too many people have been seriously injured or killed due to illegal street racing which has tragic effects on all parties involved. It would not be fair to the loved ones of people who have been tragically affected by street racing to continue this discussion.

MSD Tech Support