PDA

View Full Version : Need a new distributor cap

lilredjeep
11-30-2007, 05:06 PM
I have a 1989 jeep wrangler that I run a MSD 8516 billet distributor, msd Blaster 2 coil and a 6A offroadbox on. I need a distributor cap and rotor and can't wait for one to come in the mail. I need one NOW! Is there a OEM distributor cap I can run for now until my online order goes through. If so what do I ask for year, make, model? Also is there a rotor I could use for now until I can get a MSD one.

Thanks

msdtech22
12-03-2007, 09:14 AM
Not being familiar with the stock Jeep distributor, we are not sure what rotor will work with that application.

When checking with an auto parts store for a cap and rotor, follow the lead of the saleman looking up your parts.

The will ask for type of vehicle (make), Year, model, submodel, engine size atc. They will ask for all the information that they will need to get whatever product you are requesting.

lilredjeep
12-03-2007, 10:13 AM
I run your distributor not a jeep distributor. From what I can see from your site it looks like your 8516 distributor uses a early Buick V6 distributor from a 1967 or earlier points style distributor and the rotor for the same type of application. So write this down and pass it on, I can't believe I can figure it out and that your tech line number gave me the wrong information, and that you guys on the forum can't answer it either. I guess I should have gone with Accel when I wanted to upgrade, because your company has a really piss poor tech group. Sorry for that, but with this problem and others that I've had, You guys have never gave me a straight answer on any of them yet, or been of any help in any way. Way to run a company!

msdtech22
12-03-2007, 10:45 AM
We are sorry that you feel that way.

We are not sure if a stock dsitributor cap and rotor will fit on the MSD Distributor. We do know that the PN 8447 cap and the Pn 8467 rotor will work with that PN 8516 distributor.

Will a stock distributor cap and rotor fit on that same distributor?

We are not absolutely sure.

That was the reason for the ambigious answer.

If you order the correct cap and rotor for the distributor, PN 8447 cap and PN 8467 rotor, knowing that these are the correct replacement parts for the distributor, you would probably need to wait for those to be shipped to you unless there is an MSD Dealer in your area that has those in stock and can sell them to you and you can walk out of the store with those products.