PDA

View Full Version : timing issues

psycholist
07-21-2003, 11:02 AM
I have a jeep (74) 304 that I have recently rebuilt and have a 6al pro billet magnetic adv dist and blaster ss coil. I have tried to tune the motor and keep getting carb backfires at different times depending on timing. I have spoken to edelbrock and adjusted the carb as instructed and still have the problem, I called them back and was told it was a timing issue. So I called the tech line and wasn't helpedwith vague instructions to " just keep moving ther timing until it runs "??? Do you have some guidelines possibly for where a 304 should be set? I seem to get the best when advanced around 4 degrees, but don't have any power, and still get the cough at 2100 rpm in 2nd gear. Sometimes the cough is when I first accelerate and it sputters and almost dies. Please help.
the motor is stock, except for a mild lunati rv cam.

msdtech1
07-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Stock initial timing for a 1974 304 engine is 5 degrees before TDC. When you installed the MSD Distributor, what springs and which bushing did you use in the distributor? Have you checked your timing at 2100 rpm to see where it is at? Let me know and I will try to help you out.

MSD Tech1