PDA

View Full Version : 3month old MSD Digital 6 Plus 6520

west_minist
07-19-2003, 11:05 AM
I recently purchase the MSD Digital 6 Plus from Summit racing.

The setup is a 1986 Subaru with Nology Hotwire, Nology M80 coil. I used it up to the end of June.

My frind has a Toyota Corolla w/ 4age 20v siver top engine turbo charge.

He is using low resistance plug wires.

He ask me to borrow it for his project (Certifed Mechanic) to see how the MSD Digital 6 + M80 would work before he buys the MSD Digital 7.

This morning, I was told it stop working when he was driving to work.

In both instances, the msd was install in the cabin, away from heat.

So far, up to this time , it is still dead.

What could the problem be?

I just purchase this device over the Crane Cams Hi6TRC. I am now frightened to buy the msd dig 7 because of this.

MSD, Should I shipped this product back to you or to Summit racing?

And most of all, why have this device fail without warning ?

Have anyone experience this problem with the MSD Digital 6 Plus?

west_minist
07-21-2003, 04:08 PM
MSDTECH!

Can you advice me here please?

msdtech2
07-21-2003, 04:10 PM
If the unit is not working, I would recommend to send the unit to us for testing, this way we can determine what happen to the unit, just send it in with a copy of the sales receipt for warranty purposes.
There could of been different problems with the unit that can cause it to fail, one being a defective unit, other items that can cause it to fail would be a voltage surge or spike in the electrical system, poor ground on the unit. One thing to check, is make sure that the cylinder select is not on #8 or #9, this will cause the ignition not to fire.
Thanks,
msdtech2

west_minist
07-21-2003, 08:31 PM
I understand that the red LED light is not coming on

All wiring checks out.

The unit is just dead, almost like a fuse was blown?

My distress is that it is under 3months old, have not been abuse and now, I have to spend big money to send it back (well over $60us) to you and still have my eyes on the Digital 7.

If the digital 6 last for 3 months, how long will the 7 last in the tropics (Florida type enviroment)

The amazing thing about it, it was to be sold Saturday gone. So can you believe my stress if it was sold and the next day or so failed?

Ok, I will see what I can do.

Thanks.

msdtech2
07-22-2003, 08:26 AM
I understand your frustration, but once we see it and find out what happen we will be able to give you a right answer, we have very few come backs on these units. Normally the ones we see are due to improper installation.
Thanks,
msdtech2

west_minist
07-22-2003, 09:07 AM
I can assure you that it was properly install by the book.

Ok. Thanks

Question, can I purchase the msd 7 direct from you?

Also, do need an RMA Number?

msdtech2
07-22-2003, 01:04 PM
It would be cheaper if you purchase through a dealer, pricing through us is more expensive.
Thanks,
msdtech2

west_minist
07-22-2003, 01:16 PM
What about the rma #?

msdtech2
07-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Sorry about that, but no you don't need an rma #, just send with a copy of sales reciept, a good return address and a phone number in case we need to contact you.
thanks,
msdtech2

west_minist
07-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Ok. Sounds good.

I am here seeing what Summit Racing can do.

If I send it back to them, I want the msd digital 7 plus difference.

It would be a was of time sending it to them and waiting a while, while there send it to you.

Ok, it I send this back to you, do I have to paid for shipping back to me?

msdtech2
07-22-2003, 02:09 PM
If you are going to send it in to find out what happen to the unit, it would be best for you to send it in directly to us, this will eliminate Summit and time. You only want to send it to them for an exchange, but if you send it to them we will not be able to find out what happen to the unit. If you send it directly to us, we will take care of the shipping back to you, although you will still have to pay the shipping to us.
Thanks,
msdtech2

west_minist
07-22-2003, 02:13 PM
At this moment, there want to replace it for the msd 7 difference.

I will send them a cost and see if there will take it. Then we will see.

msdtech2
07-22-2003, 02:35 PM
ok.
msdtech2